GIGANTIC SPOILER WARNING!
As Thursday* draws nearer and movie theaters sell out for the midnight premier, I’m very much thinking about Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. I’m very busy at the moment, so I haven’t really had the time to read over the final book in preparation (don’t worry, I’ll get through at least some of it), but I thought I would just go over a few things that I feel need to be in this movie in order for it to be complete.
Please note that this list is not only the best parts of the second half of the book, but also less action-packed moments that I felt really wrapped up the series and helped to carry the story to its bittersweet end.
- The Gringotts Break-In. From the trailers, it looks like the movie has pretty much got this part down. This scene actually encompasses a lot of elements that are pretty monumental. Harry uses an Unforgivable Curse on several people, which is a very good basis for some development character-wise. There’s a really good sequence of action-y stuff that happens while they’re in the vault (namely, the dragon and the spells on the treasure). And, of course, they get a Horcrux out of it (and the Hufflepuff Horcrux, no less).
- Aberforth. Meeting Dumbledore’s brother was a definite high point for me. This is also the scene where we get the rest of Dumbledore’s backstory, and I love a good backstory.**
- The Return of Dumbledore’s Army. This is the part directly after meeting Aberforth, when the Trio goes through the magic painting/passage thing into the Room of Requirement. I’ve always been a fan of Neville, Luna and the rest of the secondary cast, so finding out that they were fighting back all along really helps to flesh out their characters a bit more. Plus, who doesn’t love the idea of the Room of Requirement? It’s like a secret closet. For all your secrets. Or for your army of students. Whichever.
- The Search for the Diadem. Another quest for a Horcrux, and one that brings about the death of one character. Plus, Ron tries to speak Parseltongue. Plus, we get Harry and Luna traveling the school together. And I will always welcome a Luna scene.*** Basically, they need to find all the Horcruxes, and I think that the way they find them in the book is just brilliant, and so the producers absolutely shouldn’t change a thing.
- The Prince’s Tale. I think it’s pretty safe to say that the producers will stick to the book and kill Snape off, but that’s not the point here. The point is what happens afterward, when Harry visits his childhood through his memories and finds out that (again, major spoiler alert) he loved Lily. This simple fact is basically the whole reason Snape did what he did, to both Harry and his parents. You just can’t leave something like that out.
- Dumbledore/Harry Discussion. There are a lot of crucial points made in this scene. Yes, it’s probably a bit long for the movie, so I’m okay with cutting it short, but some of those points need to be made. In some way. Somehow.
- Neville Kills Nagini. I love this part. It’s Neville’s shining moment. The Sorting Hat’s on fire, it gives Neville the sword (proving he is, in fact, a true Gryffindor), BAM! Neville carries out his promise to Harry and kills the snake (who’s also a Horcrux- those darn things are just everywhere).
- Molly Weasley vs. Bellatrix Lestrange. EPIC BATTLE. Really, this is the best part of the whole Battle of Hogwarts. Some serious Mom power goes down, as well as a pretty epic line for her to say- around her kids, no less. (Yes, I’m aware I say the word epic too much.)
- Harry vs. Voldemort. This is it. The final battle. It really isn’t a battle, and I know a lot of people were disappointed by that, but I thought it was perfect. Words always hold more impact, especially in a book. Harry tells Voldemort about the love shield and all the things he missed, and then one spell cast, and done.
- Ron/Hermione. This has been coming for years. We need to see them finally together.
Anyway, that’s it. I guess some of these things are total duh moments, but I’m still including them because they’re what I want to see. By the way, this will be my last post until Wednesday at least. So happy reading, or watching, whatever you’re doing this week.
*Yes, it’s technically Friday that the movie comes out, but seriously. Do you not expect me to consider it Thursday?
**Plus, who would want to miss Dumbledore’s story, of all characters? He’s so mysterious!
***Luna is my favorite character. Watch out for Wrackspurts. Also, Ravenclaw is my favorite house, and so this means a peek into the Ravenclaw dorms. Sweet.
“We did it! We bashed him! Wee Potter’s the one! And Voldy’s gone moldy, so now let’s have fun!” -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
I’ve always loved Peeves in the books. I’m really bummed he isn’t in the movies and thus won’t be singing this song at the end. Does anyone else feel the same way?
EDIT: Feel free to comment on what parts you want to see (or don’t want to see)!